04 Jun Aircraft and Flight Dispatcher: Description and the best paid jobs
Aircraft Dispatcher (Flight Dispatcher)
Description… and where to find the best paid jobs
What is an Aircraft Dispatcher (Flight Dispatcher)?
An Aircraft Dispatcher, also called a Flight Dispatcher (sometimes called a Flight Follower or Flight Operations Officer) assists in planning aircraft flight paths taking into account the type of aircraft, load, flight restrictions and weather conditions.
Aircraft Dispatcher Duties - What do Aircraft Dispatchers do?
The role of flight dispatcher gives them:
- Operational control over aircraft flights
- The ability to divert, delay or cancel a flight.
- The use of sophisticated software to monitor flights in progress to advise aircrew of any circumstances that may affect safety
Flight Operations Officer job descriptions can vary between employers, however they commonly include:
- Monitoring aircraft so they run on time
- Pre-planning to ensure minimal disruption to flights
- Deal with adverse weather conditions or air traffic control issues that arise by rearranging slots when flight delays occur
- Ensure aircraft undergo maintenance and repair when necessary
- Ensure each flight has the correct aircraft type
- Ensure flights have the correct number of qualified crew on board by devising staff rosters which allocate pilots and cabin crew to flights
Flight Operations Officer Requirements
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player
- Good communication skills
- Good computer skills
The Difference Between an Aircraft Dispatcher and an Air Traffic Controller
Even though both roles deal with air traffic, an Air Traffic Controller has a different role to that of an Aircraft Dispatcher.
An Air traffic Controller is typically a government employee who is required to direct the movement of multiple aircraft, so they keep a safe distance from each other.
Aircraft Dispatcher Job Outlook
As populations increase and more people travel, the demand for people within the aviation industry will increase. This will include aircraft dispatch (flight following) skills and experience. So aircraft dispatcher is a great career choice.
Aircraft Dispatcher Certification - Flight Dispatcher Training Program
Aircraft Dispatcher Courses (flight dispatcher courses) are widely available. Depending on the course it may be a:
- Degree course
- Certificate course
- Partly online course (i.e. you can compete part of your training and certification online)
- Practical test
Dispatcher schools offer the certificate requirements employers need to offer you a job.
Flight dispatcher training costs depend on the training school. In the main, certification is not expensive.
For Flight Dispatcher training near you, contact your closest airport.
Aircraft Dispatcher Salary - Flight Dispatcher Salary
How much does a Flight Dispatcher make? As a dispatcher, you will be paid:
- Range – Between $40,000 and $105,000 per annum
- Average – $52,000 per annum
If you’re looking for entry level Aircraft Dispatcher jobs, go here
Flight Dispatcher resume
To write a resume that will get noticed, go here.
Aircraft Dispatcher cover letter
To write a 4 sentence cover letter that will get you an interview, go here.